Monday, September 19, 2005

OF PLANES, E-MAILS & WEB SITES

The early 90's gold rush of screenwriters heading for California may be over. But I read a lot of advice telling screenwriters they must live in Los Angeles to sell a script. Sure, you will be mere miles away from the power brokers and power lunches, but what do you do if you live smack dab in the middle of the country? I'm not sure I want to be huddled with all the other aspiring screenwriters living in cardboard boxes along Santa Monica blvd. Ten years ago maybe? Maybe not.

Personally, I think it's possible to make contacts without having to uproot your family for your pipe dream. I've been to Los Angeles and I've been to Las Vegas. Nice places to visit. Wouldn't want to live there. Had a little too much fun there. I'm from the Midwest and I like it here. Not much happens. You can get a lot of writing done. And more importantly I think you can have a unique voice here and not chase the latest hollywood trend.

I've received several emails asking how to contact producers. It's not a secret handshake anymore. If you have a great story, they will read it whether they say they won't read unsolicited scripts or not. This is the CYA policy. Most will take a standard release form and many times they have their own with their letterhead on it. It just means you won't sue them if your story sounds too much like one they make down the road. But that's another topic.

A few years ago, Christopher Wehner wrote a book called Screenwriting on the Internet: Researching, Writing, and Selling Your Script on the Web. Great book if you're not ready to load up the car for LA. I was interviewed for the section entitled "OF PLANES, E-MAILS & WEB SITES". I also did an interview about screenwriting on the internet for Absolute Write. You can read it here: Mark's Big Interview. Take note I was little greener than I am now.

I am happy to say that some of my best contacts have come through the internet. I've had a few options, a couple work for hires, and made a little green in the process. Remember with the internet anyone is just an email away.

Unique voice. Unique story. Fresh air.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

great advice, sometimes we have to do our own viral internal marketing and no just sit around waiting for the phone to ring...

Scott the Reader said...

Just keep in mind that once you do sell that first script, it's infinitely easier for you to get hired for more writing jobs if you live in L.A. and can actually meet with people.

And it is possible to live a normal life in the L.A. area. Just stay away from the Playboy mansion and Anna Nicole Smith.

Mark said...

Scott,

Good point about living in LA for meetings and access. I'm sure it has its benefits. And I could see where someone could question your desire, but I still think if you craft a great story in Nebraska you have a good a shot as anybody.

Thanks for the comments

Anonymous said...

Scott -- "but... but..."